K.S. Behera (1939-2008), was born in Angul, Odisha. He was educated at Angul High School, Angul and Ravenshaw College, Cuttack. He earned M.A. in History in 1960 from Utkal University with first position. He obtained Post-Graduate Diploma in Archaeology from the School of Archaeology, Archaeological Survey of India, New Delhi. He was awarded the D.Litt. by Utkal University for his study on Konarak.
An eminent archaeologist and historian, he held various positions such as Professor and Head of the Post-Graduate Department of History, Utkal University; Head of the Department of Ancient Indian History, Culture and Archaeology, Utkal University; Dean, Faculty of Arts, Chairman, Post-Graduate Council, Utkal University; President, Orissa History Congress; Member, Central Advisory Board in Archaeology, Govt. of India; Member, Governing Body of the National Council of Science Museums; Indira Gandhi Fellow of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi; Vice Chancellor, Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, etc.
His major publications include Folk Art and Craft (ed.), 1978; Cuttack: 1000 Years (ed.), 2 vols, 1991; Praci Mahatmya (in Sanskrit) (ed.), 1992; Temples of Orissa, 1993; Bhakti Vaibhava Natakam (in Sanskrit) (ed.), 1998; Sculpture Masterpieces from Orissa: Style and Iconography, co-author T.E. Donaldson, 1998; Maritime Heritage of India (ed.), 1999; Charles Grome's Report on the Temple of Jagannatha (ed.), 2002; G. Webb's Report on the Temple of Jagannatha (ed.), 2003 and The Lingaraja Temple of Bhubaneswar (2008).